• Profile photo of Christian PiattChristian Piatt
    Keymaster
    #11252 |

Welcome to your community portion of My Jesus Project. This is the place where you can add your comments, join a discussion, tell your story, or post a video. How are you following Jesus for real? Let me know I’m not in this alone!

• Profile photo of PaulPaul
    Participant
    #11456 |

Greetings! I am very much intrigued by the project as well, and am hoping to learn from Christian and others, strengthening my daily endeavor to live my life as Jesus teaches us to live it. Jesus commands us to “love one another as yourself” and I find that a recurring challenge. As a Roman Catholic, this Lenten season is one for reflection and introspection, and listening to the Holy Spirit is one of my daily meditation goals. Hopefully, I can grow in tolerance and love of my brothers and sisters, and become more like our Father wishes us to be by Easter. Peace to you all.

• Profile photo of Kathryn VaiKathryn Vai
    Participant
    #11452 |

Hi there! My name is Kathryn Vai and I am intrigued by this project. I am so discouraged by the very LOUD folks out there claiming to be Christians, but (forgive me for judging) clearly have no idea what that means in actual practice. Either they are following an angry Old Testament God, or they are simply misinformed, but it has left me really sad and looking for a way to BE the Gospel for the world in a tangible and meaningful way….. ‘Cuz actions speak louder than words, eh? So yeah, sign me up and count me in.

• Profile photo of GlendaGlenda
    Participant
    #11457 |

Hi I am Glenda and I am very serious about following Jesus, I am not perfect but forgiven, I would like to say I am a follower of Jesus his Ambassador in the earth. Jesus said whosoever believeth in me the works that I do shall he do also and greater works than these shall he do. Jeus came not in the world to condemn the world but through him the world might be saved.

• Profile photo of Slim MoonSlim Moon
    Participant
    #11465 |

I am Slim. I am heartglad to be involved, and I expect to learn a bunch this year and think a bunch of new thoughts, in community in this journey.

I am grateful for Grace and God’s love every day, deep to my bones. It fills my lungs and beats my heart, God’s grace and my gratitude.

But following Jesus is another thing. A value-add, I would say. Not only am I loved, but I get to live well, if I choose to do the work.

One of the best ways to grow in faith and seek to live well is to follow great teachers, and Jesus is my favorite.

I yearn to delve more deeply into what it means to follow his holy example, and/or to follow his inspired teachings.

I need to be in community and connection with others to make this inquiry authentic and full, because my self-ness is a dangerous fiction.

May we be moved and may we move, and may movement sing.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Slim Moon Slim Moon.
  • Profile photo of Richard NortonRichard Norton
    Participant
    #11468 |

Hello my name is Richard. I have been interested in Jesus Radicals for a while. I am a solitary Christian meaning that I do not belong to a denomination. Originally, I came from an LDS family, but reveled when I turned 19 or so. Some years later I became involved in a Charismatic fundamentalist church but left after feeling very disappointed.

I feel the presence of Jesus as one might sense a person without seeing them. There are many ideas of who Jesus is, many times these conflict with each other. Leaders of the Christian church have destroyed books that conflict with their own ideas, added to the scriptures so that the Bible itself is not always a reliable witness. Yet my heart tells me of the specialness of Jesus. He has brought me through difficulties in a way entirely undeserved by me.

So to understand who he is and what it means to follow him is the very least of what I can do to honor him.

• Profile photo of Richard NortonRichard Norton
    Participant
    #11469 |

I deleted my first intro to JesusProject. It was all true but was framed to fit in with the traditional Bible quoting Christian. I am definitely over the line into the heretic camp. I am stating this, not to be argumentative, or to cause trouble but simply to let you’re know who I am from the start.

I am interested n participating in this project because of your connection to Mark Van Steenwyck and the Jesus Radicals. I resonate with a lot of what they say, but of course not everything. To me Jesus was kicked out of the front door of institutionalized religion within a hundred years of his crucifixion. The Gospels give us hints of who he was but are mostly rearranged, contrived, deleted to express the embedded patriarchy.

I found you question of what does it mean to follow Jesus very central to Christianity, but the answer is not simple.

• Profile photo of DanaDana
    Participant
    #11470 |

Hi, I am looking forward to this year, and a little nervous. I have never been a part of anything like this. I have been a follower of Jesus all my life (well as long as I can remember), and it has been a crazy, winding road. At this point, I feel a mixture of things; drained and exhausted and yet exhilarated and encouraged. I often feel alone in my spiritual journey, with only my husband that I can truly be real with (and I can’t even express how thankful I am for him!!!). But, we are both at the same place and often feel all used up. I am hoping to gain some encouragement and help in living out this life of loving God and loving others.

• Profile photo of Carl N.Carl N.
    Participant
    #11488 |

I was drawn to Christian’s project in several ways. First, I have long been intrigued by the many diverse faces of Jesus. Secondly, having been born at the end of the Baby Boomers, I am very interested in listening to many of the new and younger voices in the Faith. For years I felt a big disconnect between “The Church” and what I feel is the heart of Jesus. These new voices are giving me new hope and renewed faith. Thirdly, awhile back I visited the Church of my childhood. Sadly, it like many churches had been suffering a long, slow death. Two years passed and I visited again, finding a small group of like minded people in the throws of a resurrection. The Pastor had insisted on throwing open the often locked doors to open it up for the community to use for healing, art, music and community building. Having been a stark critic of the institutional church for years, I now find myself an Elder of this church. Finally, this is an awesome spiritual practice. I look forward to listening, and learning. I am humbled by this opportunity. Peace. Carl.

• Profile photo of Jerseygirl, JesusJerseygirl, Jesus
    Participant
    #11490 |

Hey there. I’m fascinated by this Jesus I am mad in love with, and all I long for is to get to know him better — a terrifying prospect in many ways. I am not sure about this at all. I want to just play the innocent bystander, to hide behind the media, objectify and practice some serious voyeurism. But something tells me I’ll be giving away my crap in no time.

I work for a non-denominational, contemporary, almost-mega church (yeah, we have the bookstore and the cafe) and there, I am the black sheep. I write a blog called Jerseygirl,Jesus and have been called into the head office more than once about it. Everyday, I’m wondering if it will be the day God calls me away from there. I love that church even while it drives me crazy.

Other than that, I just do my best.

• Profile photo of Emily LasinskyEmily Lasinsky
    Participant
    #11492 |

Hey all! Christian-Thanks for creating this and opening it up to others. I think this is so awesome! I’m interested in this project b/c I want to know more about the character of Jesus. Discovering this is so timely because just yesterday I asked others on facebook for resources about Jesus’ teen years. I bet he had some “holy” angst! I’m a counselor by education, but I really consider myself an artist and advocate. Much of my artwork has spiritual themes with an edge, which is how I view Jesus. He was a rebel with a cause. He was so compassionate, yet he told it like it was.
    I grew up in church, but it was a lot of fire and brimstone. I accepted Jesus into my heart at age 12, but I didn’t start to understand what this truly meant until I experienced loss and heartache and began seeking His heart more. I like examining existential questions, and sometimes this is viewed as doubt. I don’t think so. A few years ago, God told me to “show others what they can’t see.” Real specific, right? haha. I sought guidance about going into ministry and wanted some feedback for my ponderings, but I was disheartened when I was repeatedly told to “Just pray about it.” I want to be able to offer others more when they have the big questions.Not exact answers, but at least some guidance. While I am glad to have found a church where I am learning a lot, I’m realizing more and more that it’s about a personal relationship w/Jesus and I need to seek that out. I feel like I’ve just started to scratch the surface of getting to know this Jesus dude, and I’m excited to learn more about Him through this project.

• Profile photo of ChristaChrista
    Participant
    #11513 |

In the ‘welcome’ video, you ask if being a Christian was as simple as such things as loving, charity, compassion, would we need Jesus? I feel the need to suggest that because a thing is simple, that doesn’t mean it’s easy. I think following Jesus’ way IS that simple.

Matthew 22:35-40
    35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
    37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Micah 6:8
    He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

These passages really sum it all up for me. And, it’s really simple, right? But is it easy?
    Sure, loving my sweet neighbor who give me cookies is easy, even passing random people on the street is easy. But what about the one who shouts homophobic and transphobic slurs at me? Is that easy? No, it’s not. It’s SIMPLE as all heck, but times like that are so hard that, I think if we were all being honest, very few of us could say we did it, all the time. Not when it’s in our face. Not when it’s personal. Not even when it’s some random person on Facebook making broad statements against something we find important, and which helps us understand ourselves. Heck, we’re supposed to pray for those who persecute us, but I can’t do it and mean it. Not really, not 100%. Instead, I pray just to learn to pray for those who persecute me and to mean it. It’s hard stuff.

Walking humbly? Is THAT easy? Because I come across a LOT of people, some of whom are Christian and some of whom are not, and in every case, humility is in short supply.

So you say “simple” and yes, I think following Jesus is simple. But you confuse “simple” with “easy” and there, I think you’ve made a fundamental error.

–Christa

• Profile photo of AmitAmit
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.