• Christian Piatt
    Keymaster
    #11476 |

One of the most famous miracles in the Bible is the “feeding the multitudes,” in which he takes a little bit of fish and bread and feeds 5,000 people, not counting the women and children, according to scripture. D’oh!. So in reality, it could have been way, way more than that. But then Jesus says later on in the gospels that we will do even greater things than he did.

So does that mean I should feed 5,000 people? Let’s find out together.

I don’t know about you, but my bread-and-fish multiplying skills are a little rusty, so I’ll probably need help with this one. But what if the real miracle of this story isn’t even that Jesus performed any sort of magical trick, but rather, the miracle began with the boy who offered up what he had in faith for others? And what if that inspired those around him to let go of their scarcity mentalities and give whatever they had too? And what if that dynamic rippled throughout the crowd, until those who were convinced they didn’t have enough now had more than they could have imagined?

And what if we did the very same thing?

I can’t bake bread, and I hate fish, so I thought I should start with what I have. I’m a writer, so why not some books? So a few months ago, I offered up six of my books (signed, no less!) online and offered to trade them to someone for something of greater value.

Not much later those books became a mountain bike.
    Then the bike became a book editing and graphic design package.
    Then that package became a custom website.
    And just last week, that website became a timeshare that is worth upwards of $8,000 to $9,000.

What I find more amazing is that pretty much all of the folks who have made this happen so far have started out with a response like, “I don’t really have anything to give.” And yet, once they really started assessing what they did have, and got creative about their giving, something incredible happened.

Six books turned into a vacation timeshare. I don’t know about you, but that sounds pretty miraculous to me.

But we’re not done yet. If you want to learn more about the timeshare and how you might help us go even further, drop me a note. the goal is to get to something at least $30,000 in value that we can then donate to a feeding charity or ministry of some kind. But why stop there? Let’s find out together where this spirit of miraculous abundance and generosity leads.

Let’s get creative. Let’s make a miracle happen.

• Janel
    Participant
    #11503 |

This is such a great concept. I’m really impressed that you’ve gotten to $9000 in just four trades! In full disclosure, I am one of the people who thought “I don’t have anything to trade” and ended up offering website design and build services. Now I wish I had something else worth $9000 because a timeshare sounds great! Best wishes that this keeps rolling and you surpass your goal before the year is out!

• Christa
    Participant
    #11525 |

I would like to suggest you give to Heifer International: http://www.heifer.org/ Their project is not to simply give packaged food to people, but to give livestock to families and communities at home and abroad. This not only gives people food in their bellied, but offers them a source of food that can be cultivated to feed generations (especially when you give breeding pairs) and offers not only food but economic empowerment to rural communities worldwide.

From their site:
    We empower families to turn hunger and poverty into hope and prosperity – but our approach is more than just giving them a handout. Heifer links communities and helps bring sustainable agriculture and commerce to areas with a long history of poverty. Our animals provide partners with both food and reliable income, as agricultural products such as milk, eggs and honey can be traded or sold at market.
    When many families gain this new sustainable income, it brings new opportunities for building schools, creating agricultural cooperatives, forming community savings and funding small businesses.

They further encourage those they give animals to pass on the first female offspring of their livestock to another family to continue the blessing.

I’m a big fan of them, and I ask that you consider supporting them.

• Christian Piatt
    Keymaster
    #11526 |

A good idea, Christa, thinking about sustainability. I’ll add it to the list of possibles. Likely I’ll let this community chime in.

Meanwhile we have to keep trading!

• Christa
      Participant
      #11527 |

Great! I’ll be eager to see how this project plays out and what you… and we… can all learn from it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.